Book Review: When Running Made History by Roger Robinson

by Margaret Buttner

Fans of running commentator and historian Roger Robinson will not be disappointed with his latest book, When Running Made History (Syracuse University Press, 2018). Part memoir, part chronicle of running events over the past 70 years, Robinson’s account of memorable events such as the 1960 Rome Olympics or the 100thanniversary of the Boston Marathon are brought to life in an extraordinary way. Continue reading “Book Review: When Running Made History by Roger Robinson”

Full Circle

by Matt Diederichs

Thirty-five years ago, I was in grade six and preparing with my school team for the5th annual Edmonton Journal Indoor Games. Mr. Ewasiuk would be there to let us in early and run in the hallways before school started. After the preliminary races, my 8 x 200 metre relay team made it to the finals. We went on to win the relay competition by two-tenths of a second. My first gold medal! Continue reading “Full Circle”

Karen Lacey / St. John’s, NL

I never thought I would be a runner, let alone a running coach! I was diagnosed at age 18 with Crohn’s Disease and didn’t think running was something I would be able to do. In 2006, my mother (who is also a Running Room instructor) ran her first marathon in Ireland and inspired me to start running. In the beginning, I struggled to run for a minute then walk for a minute, but I thought if she could do it, I could do it. The following year I ran my first race, the Tely 10, and I haven’t looked back. Continue reading “Karen Lacey / St. John’s, NL”

Resolution Run

by Jessie Macdonald

The 33rd Annual Resolution Run witnessed over 12,000 participants in 52 locations across Canada and the United States brave the relatively chilly to extremely cold temperatures this year. St. John’s overcame snow flurries, Toronto’s event staff shoveled 700 metres of a side loop to clear the way, and Abbotsford came together and sanded an alternate route after a treacherous ice storm. In a great show of perseverance, participants battled the elements together and crossed the finish line with frosty faces and high spirits. This year, a 1K race was added so that eager young children could run a race of their own. Continue reading “Resolution Run”